THE ANGLICAN CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST - BAIRNSDALE
With its solid red brick walls, slate roof and fresh white paint, St John's is a focal point in the City of Bairnsdale. When the first European settlers came to East Gippsland over 170 years ago, there was a strong core of Anglicans who set about building up a worshipping community. The first part of the church building was erected on the present site in 1867 and completed in 1871 .
Please click on the picture above to view the book
The ceiling timber is Californian Redwood which was used extensively in the 1880s as an imported material. Cyprus pine is also used. The original altar is blackwood as is the pulpit. The modern altar beneath the hanging cross is Victorian Ash as are the seats for Bishop and Clergy. The pews are a mixture of Kauri Douglas Fir and King Billy Pine. The transcept doors are Fiddleback.